Posts Tagged ‘gw2co.net’
as the creator of http://www.gw2co.net I’m using my blog to promote this little goody 🙂
What is it? It’s a windows 7+ application/overlay above GuildWars2 showing timers and team movements for a game mode called World vs. World. Here three home worlds/servers combat each other player vs. player for a week by killing other raids or conquering castles, towers and supply camps.
GW2co.net now enriches this in multiple ways:
– Cooperative team play by seeing where other teams are heading to. You may have a coordinater in Teamspeak ordering teams to go here and there
– Know beforehand if the camp you’re heading to with your raid still has a timer
– Predict enemy movements be looking at the map overview
– Allows for visibile scouts too so a leader can see which objectives are protected by manpower
– Getting infos about who has claimed an objective and how long it is held
The cool thing about this is the work-out-of-the box character. You as GW2 player just fire up the game and join a WvW map. The GW2co.net Client (after you logged in) can automaticly pick up the map and your character and will (not yet implemented) place you into the correct team based on the leaders teamname and your login. There is nearly zero interaction needed but the team leader will see the new player as a team member.
The client is free and our complete server infrastructure that is able to support thousands of players at the same time costs (incl. Domain) not even 10$ a month. On the technology side we are using many technologies like ZeroMQ, Google AppEngine with Gaelyk and Protocolbuffers. We’ve overcome OS and program language boundaries and created a secure communication over an unsecure tcp socket. There were many challanges and I hope to have the time to blog details here about some of them.
It took me and a friend (plus some recently joined supporters) a year now from idea to the current closed Beta Version and I hope a public Beta for my whole home world “Elonareach” will be ready within four weeks.